Saturday, November 22, 2008

Amsterdam

“Victory is won not in miles but in inches. Win a little now, hold your ground, and later, win a little more.” -Louis L'amour

3 days ago, I was lucky enough to catch a lift from Rotterdam to Amsterdam. Rick, Rogier's flatmate, offered to take me on his way in to work. Yes, he drives to Amsterdam everyday for his police officer duties.

In Rotterdam, I rested most of the day I was there, choosing to bypass the city all together. I went to the supermarket, purchased some traditional Dutch food and relaxed on the sofa.

I left my block of Leerdammer cheese at Rogier's flat. It has been my favorite of the cheeses I have had in Europe. Ive been thinking about it a lot; alas, it is time to let that cheese go. I'll be looking for a new one the next few days.

In Amsterdam I have been welcomed with open arms into a collective household, made up by a plethora of international nomads. Everyone here is driven, and fascinated by others who are driven. Thus, being interested in my trip.

I find myself being asked a few questions, commonly:

Why the winter time?

Why on a bicycle?

Why Copenhagen?

Oscar Wilde (whom I have now visited his crypt in Paris) once said
"In Examinations, the foolish ask questions the wise cannot answer."


I dont believe that my inquirers are foolish, but the wise definitely cannot answer the questions easily.

Here, the collective has about 10 bicycles for usage. Many were non-functional until some us spent a couple of hours working on them. Now the house (not including mine) has about 7.5 ridable bicycles.

Bicycling in Amsterdam has been a highlight of the trip; it's the same as driving on a highway of cars. Ive had several close calls to collision. The Dutch don't even have gears on their bikes, yet they are always moving about very quickly... sometimes with loads of goods, or another person on the back.



Despite the freezing weather and increasing snow, either tomorrow or Monday morning, I will be leaving Amsterdam (regretfully), to return to the cold.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you mean next Monday? ;)